[lsb-discuss] LSB, GCC versions C++11 and libstdc++

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Fri Dec 14 15:53:27 UTC 2012

I've been working with GCC 4.0 to 4.3 for a while now, and they work
happily with LSB 3.1 and 4.0, which I use. I don't have problems with
backwards compatibility: C and C++ programs and libraries built with
GCC 4.3 run happily on GCC 4.0 systems. This is fine.

Now, various people whom I provide libraries to are wanting to use GCC
4.7, for the C++11 support. They're asking me for help about run-time
libraries, but my C++-fu is weak.

Looking at an example system, Fedora 17, a GCC 4.7 system, I see that
libstdc++.so.6 is still the latest C++ run-time, under the same name
as it is on, say, SLES11, a GCC 4.3 system.

Will C++ code built on GCC 4.7 work correctly on a GCC 4.3 system? A
trivial program built with "g++ -std=c++11" does work, but I don't
have comprehensive test cases, and it seem quite unlikely given that
there's a bunch more stuff in C++11, which presumably requires run-
time support.

How does LSB deal with this?

thanks,

--