[lsb-discuss] LSB, GCC versions C++11 and libstdc++

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Mon Dec 17 14:50:46 UTC 2012

> > An upgrade to GCC 4.7 is on the list, but not expect to happen very soon?
> It's planned for LSB 5.0, but I don't see who's going to work on it. The group
> tends to defer C++-related work because it's not as simple as working on
> C-based libraries (Stew might pop in with a complaint those aren't simple
> either).  Hopefully it will still make the cut for 5.0.
Will this have full support for the GCC 4.7 version of libstdc++.so.6, and thus not restrict
the use of C++11?

There's an obvious problem here: if it is that way, there's no backwards compatibility onto
older GCC C++ run-times. But if it isn't, you presumably can't use C++11, or at least, not all
of it.

All this is prompted by various product groups here getting more interested in LSB, because
they're having to support more Linux distributions, but also being interested in C++11.

thanks,

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software
Industry Sector
46 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1DP
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-1223-371554
john.dallman at siemens.com
www.siemens.com/plm

So to make sure I understand correctly, LSB SDKs 3.1 to 4.1 will work correctly with GCC 4.6
and earlier. They limit the use of libstdc++.so.6 symbols to those available on a GCC 4.1
version of the library. This ensures that LSB-built programs will run on GCC 4.1-based
systems.

Is that right?

yes, that's right.