[lsb-discuss] LSB, GCC versions C++11 and libstdc++

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Dec 17 15:05:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Dallman, John <john.dallman at siemens.com>wrote:

>  > > An upgrade to GCC 4.7 is on the list, but not expect to happen very
> soon?****
>
> > It's planned for LSB 5.0, but I don't see who's going to work on it. The
> group
> > tends to defer C++-related work because it's not as simple as working on
> > C-based libraries (Stew might pop in with a complaint those aren't
> simple
> > either).  Hopefully it will still make the cut for 5.0.****
>
> Will this have full support for the GCC 4.7 version of libstdc++.so.6, and
> thus not restrict ****
>
> the use of C++11? ****
>
> ** **
>
> There's an obvious problem here: if it is that way, there's no backwards
> compatibility onto
> older GCC C++ run-times. But if it isn't, you presumably can't use C++11,
> or at least, not all ****
>
> of it. ****
>
> ** **
>
> All this is prompted by various product groups here getting more
> interested in LSB, because ****
>
> they're having to support more Linux distributions, but also being
> interested in C++11.

I wish I could give you a more data-based response but I really just don't
know the issues.
LSB tries hard to bridge the compatibility gap, but every now and then some
kind of shift
does have to happen - LSB can't "hold back progress" either.  If there are
incompatibilities
of a serious nature, some kind of dual library support can be worked - but
I see that the
gcc project themselves have not seen the need to switch away from
libtdc++.so.6, so
I'm assuming the issues are manageable (of course using new features always
is an
issue when you want compatibility back to systems that predate the new
feature,
that's nothing unique to the c++ question).