[lsb-discuss] LSB 5.0 Road map -- It's a start

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Feb 7 18:36:40 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 08:59 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> Apologies, I wasn't clear. I was asking if new LSB releases might require
> installing newer compilers than are shipped with a distribution. That would
> create lots of FUD, but if you're using the predict-via-community-
> distribution model, it's unlikely to be an issue.

As of right now, we assert support in the SDK for gcc versions 3.4
through 4.4, with support up to 4.6 (at least) planned.

If we were to drop anything, it would likely be 3.4 support; there's a
bit of code in lsbcc which works around a bug in gcc 3.4.  I doubt that
would cause much trouble, compatibility-wise; the oldest gcc I know of
shipping in a current stable distro is 4.1.  (That would be Debian; they
support multiple older gcc versions, but are on 4.4 as the "official" gcc.)
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org