[lsb-discuss] Call for Topics - 2012-02-15 conference call

Kay Tate ktate at suse.com
Tue Feb 14 19:19:42 UTC 2012

The implication below then is that /bin and /usr must now be in the same file system for the symlink to work. I don't think this is enforced in all Linux distros. If not, then to be reliable, you have use a hard link and mount the file system that /usr is in for the single user case in the FHS assumptions below.
                        -Kay T.

>>> Robert Schweikert <rjschwei at suse.com> wrote 2/14/2012 08:07 AM >>>

FHS has:

 From FHS 2.3[1]:

"/bin contains commands that may be used by both the system
administrator and by users, but which are required when no other
filesystems are mounted (e.g. in single user mode). It may also contain
commands which are used indirectly by scripts."

and

"The following commands, or symbolic links to commands, are required in
/bin."

Thus from my perspective there is nothing in FHS that prevents the move
of binaries from /bin, /sbin to /usr as long as a link exists back to
the new location.

However, there may be other sections of FHS and or LSB that would be
violated. If we agree that the merge/move is OK from FHS & LSB point of
view it would be great to add something to
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
to eliminate the argument once and for all.

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com