[lsb-discuss] Reducing set of distributions in AppChecker and Navigator

Denis Silakov dsilakov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:15:32 UTC 2012

Hi all,

While preparing community data update, the following thought have come
to our minds - would it make sense to drop some distribution entries
that may look superfluous for users?

For example, currently we have RHEL 4, 4.1, 4.2, ... 4.8. But do we
really want all of them? I'd say that for LSB development we don't need
the whole history of every RHEL series , but I am not sure about
AppChecker users.

The suggestion is to store only the very first and the very last
versions for sequences of updates. That is, for RHEL 4.x we'll have RHEL
4 and RHEL 4.8; for Debian 6.0 - probably 6.0.0 and 6.0.3 and so on.

Does this sound reasonable? Do SUSE guys agree if we drop SLES 10 SP1
and SLES 10 SP2, leaving only SLES 10 itself and SLES 10 SP3? :)

Note that this is primarily the question of usability of bloating
distribution list in Navigator/AppChecker. Dropping entries in question
won't save much space in the database, since we have good mechanisms of
'data compression' in cases of several similar distributions.

--
Regards,
Denis.