[lsb-discuss] Reducing set of distributions in AppChecker and Navigator

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Wed Jan 11 15:44:17 UTC 2012

On 01/11/2012 08:15 AM, Denis Silakov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While preparing community data update, the following thought have come
> to our minds - would it make sense to drop some distribution entries
> that may look superfluous for users?
>
> For example, currently we have RHEL 4, 4.1, 4.2, ... 4.8. But do we
> really want all of them? I'd say that for LSB development we don't need
> the whole history of every RHEL series , but I am not sure about
> AppChecker users.
>
> The suggestion is to store only the very first and the very last
> versions for sequences of updates. That is, for RHEL 4.x we'll have RHEL
> 4 and RHEL 4.8; for Debian 6.0 - probably 6.0.0 and 6.0.3 and so on.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Do SUSE guys agree if we drop SLES 10 SP1
> and SLES 10 SP2, leaving only SLES 10 itself and SLES 10 SP3? :)

I think we should drop everything that has no "support". Thus for SLES
there should only be SLES 10 SP4 and SLES 11 SP1 at the moment. Similar
conditions should apply to RHEL, although I am not familiar with their
support model.

For community distros the same rules should apply. At some point
community distros no longer provide security and other updates, when
this point is reached those distros should be dropped from the app checker.

My $0.02
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com