[lsb-discuss] Reducing set of distributions in AppChecker and Navigator

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Jan 18 21:36:31 UTC 2012

>  It's not easy to teach Navigator to show such data, but I can generate
> some approximations by myself :)
>
> Here is comparison of versions of components interesting in the context of
> LSB (5 tables - sles10, rhel4/5 and debian5/6):
> http://dsilakov.ru/distr_comps.html
>
> Hopefully highlighting is almost self-explaining - green is good, red is
> not:) The only really significant change (that did affect LSB development)
> is Qt update in SLES 10 SP2. It is likely that we want to store this info
> in the db.

This is neat info.  The first-last of a series seems sane, and except for
the case you cite of SLES, the changes have been ones we don't need to
keep. If we do a one-time trim now, I guess the question becomes one of
moving forward: if we have a release series like RHEL which now uses
major.minor, and we prune so we store X.0 and X.Y, then X.Y+1 comes out...
do we immediately prune out X.Y after importing X.Y+1?  Or do we then hit
the case where somebody is still working on porting to X.Y and they get
irritated that specific information vanished?