[lsb-discuss] LSB conference call agenda (2012-01-25, 11am ET)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Jan 25 15:15:03 UTC 2012

Agenda:

>  - Finish (restoration) bug review started last week.
>
>  - Plans for buildbot.

I wish to again voice my very serious concern here.  We seem to be happily
spinning along learning how to apply DevOps to the infrastructure of a
complex open source project, while the project itself makes absolutely zero
progress.  There are more than a few issues pending, and the world we're
trying to serve continues to pass us by - as examples we have no answer for
the switch to systemd, we utterly ignore security issues - even basic
things like extended attributes, we're so far behind on gcc/c++ support
that modern compilers don't work with the LSB development tools, OpenGL
might just as well not even be specified as it's a decade out of date, and
the list goes on nearly endlessly. As documentation of "current practice"
in the Linux space, we're... not. There are 441 open bugs in the LSB
bugzilla, most of which are not "infrastructure" (or devops) related, and
an old project plan for an LSB 5.0 release.  Are we actually going to get
on with those items?  If not, then I don't see much purpose in worrying
about the infrastructure, since it won't be needed if the project is dead -
something that looks more and more to be the case.

I'm far more interested in looking at whether there's a future in which
some form of the LSB project remains relevant and how to move in that
direction than hear yet more about restoration of services that have been
absent for four months or more and should have just been restored, without
needing to involve the group in the discussion, long long ago.   Projects
that might naturally be hosted here are happening elsewhere (see for
example "distributions" and "packagemap" at freedesktop.org - is there
actually going to be a unification of package naming as has been talked
about since LSB started?) and we're not even in the conversations, perhaps
that's something we should be looking at?