[lsb-discuss] Unofficial LSB conference call minutes (2012-01-25, 11am ET)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jan 25 17:46:28 UTC 2012

LSB teleconference

Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012; 11:00 to noon, US ET

Where:
 	(605) 715-4920 Access Code: 512468

Gobby:
 	gobby -j lsb-temp.pmman.net:6522 with passwd: LSB

IRC channel is:
 	#lsb at freenode.net

Attendees:
===========
(irc, name, organization)
licquia Jeff Licquia (LF)
orc_emac Russ Herrold (Owl River)
ktate Kay Tate (SuSE)
AlanClark Alan Clark (SuSE)
Darren Davis (SuSE)
stewb Stew Benedict (LF)
robjo Robert Schweikert (SuSE)
mwichmann Mats Wichmann (Intel)

Scheduled topics:
 	 - Finish bug review started last week.
 	so next week, discuss 	3298 3325 3333
 	https://lsbbugs.linuxfoundation.org/

  	- Plans for buildbot.

Next Meeting:
 	Wednesday, 2 Feb 2012; 11:00 to noon, US ET

Meeting opens at 11:00 with:
Philosphical discussion / rant on:
    What is the current most important task for the workgroup?

[ mats mailing list post today (10:15 US ET) needs to be
slotted here
    http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lsb-discuss/2012-January/007036.html
]

- LSB technical needs to be driven by the community, as LF
staff is focussed on infrastructure recovery
- exhibit A: the LSB respone to the trend to move away from
init, and to upstart, or systemd is not clear
- exhibit B: extended attributes (and SELinux .... a batch of
Debian patches to SELinux were sent upstream earlier this week
from Rusty Coker)
- exhibit C: LSB checking tools are failing to build under
current GCC, and the matter is not and being cannot be
addressed because of the blocker of no build testing
constellation on all LSB platforms (the buildbot discussion
slated for today would partially address this)

Bug closure had been frozen in ice since last August because
of the LF's issues.  The future is happening elsewhere

Alan agrees with Mats.

Jeff: true and not true.  We still need basic infrastructure
to make progress.

Mats: point was not to say infrastructure work is not crucial;
however moving the LSB technical content forward is the main
focus of the non-LF contributors/advisors, and we need to work
on that, even if /implementation/ may be inhibited by
infrastructure issues

Getting 5.0 out, or
getting infrastructure up with lack of sufficient resources at
LF to get stuff working

Mats: If we need a separate infra call, let's do it, but we
need to get back to the substative work of the LSB

Robert: set up a wiki -- inside LF, or outside?
licquia: wiki us up, but perhaps not well commoed:
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/Main_Page
but dead to herrold:
    wiki is dead: http://gallery.herrold.com/deadwiki.png
per mats, if one manually edits the link:
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_Wiki

action: call participants to start capturing current
state/roadmap on the wiki (see link above).  Post a message to
lsb-discuss on this.

A roadmap (possibly dated) on substantive matters is at:
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/RoadMap

query:
Is the existing roadap content actually relevant to the LSB
user community?

Why are Enterprise distributions not interested in
re-certifying?
Shall we move toward the developmental (community)
distributions?
Note: agreed direction from last F2F was to move closer to
community distros, or we trail an extra enterprise cycle
behind.  But how close / how much to add / who does the
adding?

per Kay: (re: Chiphopper program) once the navigator was
working, the certifying ISVs were happy with the state of the
LSB's services

Can we pull stats out of the nagivator that are relevant?
Is the requirements data in the navigator still being
accreted?
bug needed: technical blocker: navigator uploads are not
presently possible

There was a collection of uploaded ISV (app) data from
app-checker, which has a submit button. This data was never
loaded into the database. Where is the uploaded data? Can we
find? Is it worth importing, or is that data now stale? mats
may have a copy locally - not sure.
LF has a live backup drive, but getting data out of it
requires that licquia do the data dive

Herrold wants a mirror image of that drive, to hold for the
community to avoid the single point of failure

todo: Mats will follow up his message by posting to reactivate
work on the wiki on "roadmap" (done)

Robert will work thru LSB 5 goalset

todo: Licquia will write a infra roadmap document

Licquia data gathering: what do people care about, per Kay's
discussion

Kay will contact xxx at Chiphopper team for stats

todo: carry over bug review on prior agenda

call ends at 12:03

Next meeting:
   2 Feb 2012 11:00 to noon, US ET

  Otherwise, same bat time, same bat channel

Next Agenda:
   (Mats, Robert) formal time to review and plan on:
      http://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_Wiki

   planning wiki for collaborative sandboxing

   more needed here, before next week's meeting mailing
   Herrold request: could the meeting reminder be scheduled to
go out at least 24 hr in advance of the meeting

   carryover:
 	(licquia) - Finish bug review started last week.
 	so next week, discuss 	3298 3325 3333
 	https://lsbbugs.linuxfoundation.org/

  	(licquia) - Plans for buildbot.