[lsb-discuss] Unofficial LSB conference call minutes (2012-01-25, 11am ET)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jan 25 17:46:28 UTC 2012

LSB teleconference

Wednesday, 25 Jan 2012; 11:00 to noon, US ET

 	(605) 715-4920 Access Code: 512468

 	gobby -j lsb-temp.pmman.net:6522 with passwd: LSB

IRC channel is:
 	#lsb at freenode.net

(irc, name, organization)
licquia Jeff Licquia (LF)
orc_emac Russ Herrold (Owl River)
ktate Kay Tate (SuSE)
AlanClark Alan Clark (SuSE)
Darren Davis (SuSE)
stewb Stew Benedict (LF)
robjo Robert Schweikert (SuSE)
mwichmann Mats Wichmann (Intel)

Scheduled topics:
 	 - Finish bug review started last week.
 	so next week, discuss 	3298 3325 3333

  	- Plans for buildbot.

Next Meeting:
 	Wednesday, 2 Feb 2012; 11:00 to noon, US ET

Meeting opens at 11:00 with:
Philosphical discussion / rant on:
    What is the current most important task for the workgroup?

[ mats mailing list post today (10:15 US ET) needs to be 
slotted here

- LSB technical needs to be driven by the community, as LF 
staff is focussed on infrastructure recovery
- exhibit A: the LSB respone to the trend to move away from 
init, and to upstart, or systemd is not clear
- exhibit B: extended attributes (and SELinux .... a batch of 
Debian patches to SELinux were sent upstream earlier this week 
from Rusty Coker)
- exhibit C: LSB checking tools are failing to build under 
current GCC, and the matter is not and being cannot be 
addressed because of the blocker of no build testing 
constellation on all LSB platforms (the buildbot discussion 
slated for today would partially address this)

Bug closure had been frozen in ice since last August because 
of the LF's issues.  The future is happening elsewhere

Alan agrees with Mats.

Jeff: true and not true.  We still need basic infrastructure 
to make progress.

Mats: point was not to say infrastructure work is not crucial; 
however moving the LSB technical content forward is the main 
focus of the non-LF contributors/advisors, and we need to work 
on that, even if /implementation/ may be inhibited by 
infrastructure issues

Getting 5.0 out, or
getting infrastructure up with lack of sufficient resources at 
LF to get stuff working

Mats: If we need a separate infra call, let's do it, but we 
need to get back to the substative work of the LSB

Robert: set up a wiki -- inside LF, or outside?
licquia: wiki us up, but perhaps not well commoed:
but dead to herrold:
    wiki is dead: http://gallery.herrold.com/deadwiki.png
per mats, if one manually edits the link:

action: call participants to start capturing current 
state/roadmap on the wiki (see link above).  Post a message to 
lsb-discuss on this.

A roadmap (possibly dated) on substantive matters is at:

Is the existing roadap content actually relevant to the LSB 
user community?

Why are Enterprise distributions not interested in 
Shall we move toward the developmental (community) 
Note: agreed direction from last F2F was to move closer to 
community distros, or we trail an extra enterprise cycle 
behind.  But how close / how much to add / who does the 

per Kay: (re: Chiphopper program) once the navigator was 
working, the certifying ISVs were happy with the state of the 
LSB's services

Can we pull stats out of the nagivator that are relevant?
Is the requirements data in the navigator still being 
bug needed: technical blocker: navigator uploads are not 
presently possible

There was a collection of uploaded ISV (app) data from 
app-checker, which has a submit button. This data was never 
loaded into the database. Where is the uploaded data? Can we 
find? Is it worth importing, or is that data now stale? mats 
may have a copy locally - not sure.
LF has a live backup drive, but getting data out of it 
requires that licquia do the data dive

Herrold wants a mirror image of that drive, to hold for the 
community to avoid the single point of failure

todo: Mats will follow up his message by posting to reactivate 
work on the wiki on "roadmap" (done)

Robert will work thru LSB 5 goalset

todo: Licquia will write a infra roadmap document

Licquia data gathering: what do people care about, per Kay's 

Kay will contact xxx at Chiphopper team for stats

todo: carry over bug review on prior agenda

call ends at 12:03

Next meeting:
   2 Feb 2012 11:00 to noon, US ET

  Otherwise, same bat time, same bat channel

Next Agenda:
   (Mats, Robert) formal time to review and plan on:

   planning wiki for collaborative sandboxing

   more needed here, before next week's meeting mailing
   Herrold request: could the meeting reminder be scheduled to 
go out at least 24 hr in advance of the meeting

 	(licquia) - Finish bug review started last week.
 	so next week, discuss 	3298 3325 3333

  	(licquia) - Plans for buildbot.

This document: LSB minutes 20120125.txt

More information about the lsb-discuss mailing list