[lsb-discuss] Data for goal validation

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Jan 26 01:15:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Jeff Licquia
<licquia at linuxfoundation.org>wrote:

> As talked about on the call, here's what I've got.
>
> It seems to me that interest in cross-distro building is still a popular
> subject.  At my LinuxCon talk on that topic, I had pretty good turnout.
>  When I built an app from source on Ubuntu, copied it to CentOS, and it
> ran perfectly, a lot of people at the talk got excited.
>
> Ditto for QA apps like the App Checker.  Every time I've done a demo on
> that, it's gotten people interested.
>
> It's anecdotal; no hard numbers.  But it's still possibly worth
> something, and it does seem to corroborate previous experiences I've had
> with demonstrating LSB stuff.

Without wanting to sound critical...I do agree it's a very exciting topic -
and
makes a good demo.  As you know, I've done a number of them over the
years, sometimes to disappointingly few but more than a few to very good
crowds.  While the environment sometimes obscures that there's a problem
(sometimes expressed in loud, if misplaced, denials that there's any issue
at all) it hasn't gone away, app developers have challenging tasks working
cross
platform.  The fly in the ointment, as it has always been, is that what LSB
can
provide is not enough in nearly all important cases.  I can go on and on
about
the shades of gray in that statement, or we could let Robert loose on it,
or for
a somewhat different view, we could let Vladimir loose on it.  It's not
working
for commercial apps because... and it's not working for OSS apps, or freely
downloadable apps, because...

My take is that a number of years ago we lost our connection to really
good information on how a project like LSB could make a positive difference.
How/why... that can be debated, but we have comparatively few connections
to developers, few connections to distros, few connections to upstreams,
few connections to "end users", whether those be individuals, companies,
hosting sites, consultants, whatever.  So in a sense we're "flying blind" -
we don't really know what actions provide the most benefit from our
efforts unless people tell us, and  while some do, not enough are doing so
to give a complete picture.

So validation that specific directions are productive? By all means, it's
just I don't actually know how to go about validating, now I think about it.