[lsb-discuss] Bugzilla process: RESOLVED/FIXED vs. VERIFIED vs. CLOSED

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jan 26 19:33:42 UTC 2012

Mats was discussing in IRC how we got a duplicate bug filed for
something we've fixed (bug 3204, with bug 3312 as the dup).  We talked
about how the procedure used to be that we RESOLVED bugs on commit,
VERIFIED them after testing that the bug was fixed in a build, and
CLOSED them once the bug made it into a release.

This was long ago; we've since gotten out of the habit, and some 2500 of
the bugs are "RESOLVED FIXED".

It seems like a good idea to me to do something like this again.  As one
variation (suggested by Denis), perhaps we might skip the VERIFIED step,
since we generally test the bug before setting RESOLVED anyway, and
getting someone else to go back and check on the bug afterwards might be
difficult.  Knowing a bug is in the hands of users with CLOSED vs.
RESOLVED is still useful information.

If we decided to do this, we'd have to deal with the 2500 bugs in
Bugzilla now.  I'd propose we set all of them to CLOSED except for bugs
attached to an open rollup.  This may cause a few to be missed, but they
can be re-opened or re-filed as we find them.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org