[lsb-discuss] unoffficial LSB conference call minutes for 25 July 2012

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jul 25 18:20:08 UTC 2012

LSB teleconference

Wednesday, 25 Jul 2012 @11:00 to noon, US ET

Where:	(605) 715-4920 Access Code: 512468

Gobby:	gobby -j lsb-temp.pmman.net:6522 with passwd: LSB

IRC channels are:
 	#lsb-meeting at freenode.net during meetings
 	#lsb at freenode.net most other times

Attendees:
in the form : name (organization)  [irc_nick]
Russ Herrold (Owl River)  orc_emac
Mats Wichmann (Intel)  mwichmann
Jeff Licquia (LF)  licquia
Stew Benedict (LF)  stewb
Glen Petrie (Epson)
Carlos O'Donell (Mentor Graphics) odonell
Keld Simonsen (SC22)

potentials:
===========
Robert Schweikert (SuSE)  robjo
Alan Clark (SuSE)  AlanClark
Darren Davis (SuSE)
Jiri Dluhos (SUSE)  jdluhos
Kay Tate (SuSE)  ktate
Alexey Khoroshilov (ISP RAS)  Alexey

Apologies:
==========
Rick Troth (Velocity Software) rickt
Denis Silakov (ROSA Labs)  denis_silakov

Posted Agenda (modified):
=================
In priority order:

  - Stable update status.
Jeff: This should be short; just a few
minutes.

  - ISO.
Jeff: Keld, can I assume you will participate?  It would be
excellent to have you bring your perspective.

  - Go through the Infrastructure Recovery document, per Russ.
    esp. .deb generation and issuance
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/2011_Infrastructure_Recovery
Jeff: I suspect the ISO talk may leave us little time to get
to the infrastructure part, in which case we can
postpone/continue next week or continue on the mailing list.

  Other questions, possibly carry forward:
  - LSB 5.0 doesn't seem to be making progress
  - Status of "lsbweb" (at the very least, the appbat FVT
instructions)?
  - (not quite LSB): FHS and LANANA status?

New business:
The naming on the 4.0 content conflicts with the 4.1 package
names, so issuing such needs some manual intervention.  Also
there have been build problems (but the PPC variant has had
build problems.  The 4.0 AppBat tests have had 'no end' of
'whack-a-mole' build problems, and may need to be deferred for
release until November.  The possible problem seems to be some
code installed for DevChk (which seems to be 'leaking' into
the build environment). But this in turn exposes a weakness
that there is leakage INTO the testing environment from the
host environment, and so indicates a deeper problem

  - ISO
Carlos re-introduced by Jeff: Keld arrives independently from
Carlos.  In his role for SC22, Keld hopes to act as a liason
from LSB back to the ISO process people.  Jeff reprises the
'it is not clear that the work entailed to attain ISO
certification is worth the benefit received by the LSB
Workgroup' discussion from prior calls (11 Apr 2012, and 27
Jun 2012).  From the latter minutes:
 	Summary by Jeff:  The work represented in continuing
ISO certification is worth exploring -- the group investigate,
but need to understand the load it entails

Keld replies: He is interested in affirmatively working on
continuing ISO certification for the LSB; also Carlos will
communicate through the ML a 'next steps' document (actually
sent during the call).  Mats will send a 'getting started' on
what was done in the ISO authoring macros to Keld (and as I
see, these have transited teh ML already) and of course all
prior certification work is in our VCS

  - Infrastructure
Jeff: Debian content generation and 'repogen'
During the post kernel.org recovery, the toolchain needed was
not restored
Russ to update wiki page to point to bugs: 3325, 3509 (done)
Stew will look into getting a Debian instance capable of
running 'alien' and so resuming .deb generation
Going forward, after restoration of old function, Jeff hopes
to do some refactoring on 'repogen' but this does not seem to
be caught into a bug yet

  - Open discussion
Keld:  what is the status of ARM as a supported architecture
under the LSB?
Russ: Jon Masters came to our IRC and a few meetings, to
advance addition of ARM, but we have not heard from him
recently (the Fedora effort that Jon is involved in, has been
in a 'stabilize a release mode' for its Fedora 17 release in
recent months).  There is also the Linaro effort, but they
have been less active toward LSB
Keld: What about Google -- they are shipping a lot of ARM
based hardware?
Russ: Google has come to LSB venue from time to time in the
past, but as they are shipping non-LSB conformant binaries
with Chrome and formerly did as to Picassa under Linux, and
have not approached the LSB as to ARM, they would by their
actions, appear to be uninterested

Call ends at local Noon

Weekly Bug triage:
==================
The bug tracker is at:   https://bugs.linuxbase.org/
irc-only #lsb-meeting at freenode.net
Thurs at 10:00 Eastern
Bugzilla stats as of 25 Jul: 488 open, 488 open last week
487 assigned, 1 new
New last 90 days: 127, last 30: 24; closed last 90: 153, last
30: 29
Changed this week: 10, last week: 19
Bugs that are assigned but have no milestone: 216
Rollup bugs: 23

last week's bug triage log:
http://stewbenedict.org/lsb/irc/meetbot/lsb-meeting/2012/lsb-meeting.2012-07-19-13.59.log.html

How to get involved:
  - register for a bugzilla account (free)
    https://lsbbugs.linuxfoundation.org/
  - join and lurk in the IRC channel
  - dial into the weekly call
  - join in the edit of the weekly minutes in the gobby
    Free gobby clients available at:
http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/
  - join bug triage and resolution
  - review patches at the ReviewBoard