[lsb-discuss] unoffficial LSB conference call minutes for 25 July 2012

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jul 25 18:20:08 UTC 2012

LSB teleconference

Wednesday, 25 Jul 2012 @11:00 to noon, US ET

Where:	(605) 715-4920 Access Code: 512468

Gobby:	gobby -j lsb-temp.pmman.net:6522 with passwd: LSB

IRC channels are:
 	#lsb-meeting at freenode.net during meetings
 	#lsb at freenode.net most other times

in the form : name (organization)  [irc_nick]
Russ Herrold (Owl River)  orc_emac
Mats Wichmann (Intel)  mwichmann
Jeff Licquia (LF)  licquia
Stew Benedict (LF)  stewb
Glen Petrie (Epson)
Carlos O'Donell (Mentor Graphics) odonell
Keld Simonsen (SC22)

Robert Schweikert (SuSE)  robjo
Alan Clark (SuSE)  AlanClark
Darren Davis (SuSE)
Jiri Dluhos (SUSE)  jdluhos
Kay Tate (SuSE)  ktate
Alexey Khoroshilov (ISP RAS)  Alexey

Rick Troth (Velocity Software) rickt
Denis Silakov (ROSA Labs)  denis_silakov

Posted Agenda (modified):
In priority order:

  - Stable update status.
Jeff: This should be short; just a few 

  - ISO.
Jeff: Keld, can I assume you will participate?  It would be 
excellent to have you bring your perspective.

  - Go through the Infrastructure Recovery document, per Russ.
    esp. .deb generation and issuance
Jeff: I suspect the ISO talk may leave us little time to get 
to the infrastructure part, in which case we can 
postpone/continue next week or continue on the mailing list.

  Other questions, possibly carry forward:
  - LSB 5.0 doesn't seem to be making progress
  - Status of "lsbweb" (at the very least, the appbat FVT 
  - (not quite LSB): FHS and LANANA status?

New business:

Meeting opens at 11:00 with:

  - Updates
Jeff: 4.1 application tests was issued this morning, and an 
email sent to the mailing list
The naming on the 4.0 content conflicts with the 4.1 package 
names, so issuing such needs some manual intervention.  Also 
there have been build problems (but the PPC variant has had 
build problems.  The 4.0 AppBat tests have had 'no end' of 
'whack-a-mole' build problems, and may need to be deferred for 
release until November.  The possible problem seems to be some 
code installed for DevChk (which seems to be 'leaking' into 
the build environment). But this in turn exposes a weakness 
that there is leakage INTO the testing environment from the 
host environment, and so indicates a deeper problem

  - ISO
Carlos re-introduced by Jeff: Keld arrives independently from 
Carlos.  In his role for SC22, Keld hopes to act as a liason 
from LSB back to the ISO process people.  Jeff reprises the 
'it is not clear that the work entailed to attain ISO 
certification is worth the benefit received by the LSB 
Workgroup' discussion from prior calls (11 Apr 2012, and 27 
Jun 2012).  From the latter minutes:
 	Summary by Jeff:  The work represented in continuing 
ISO certification is worth exploring -- the group investigate, 
but need to understand the load it entails

Keld replies: He is interested in affirmatively working on 
continuing ISO certification for the LSB; also Carlos will 
communicate through the ML a 'next steps' document (actually 
sent during the call).  Mats will send a 'getting started' on 
what was done in the ISO authoring macros to Keld (and as I 
see, these have transited teh ML already) and of course all 
prior certification work is in our VCS

  - Infrastructure
Jeff: Debian content generation and 'repogen'
During the post kernel.org recovery, the toolchain needed was 
not restored
Russ to update wiki page to point to bugs: 3325, 3509 (done)
Stew will look into getting a Debian instance capable of 
running 'alien' and so resuming .deb generation
Going forward, after restoration of old function, Jeff hopes 
to do some refactoring on 'repogen' but this does not seem to 
be caught into a bug yet

  - Open discussion
Keld:  what is the status of ARM as a supported architecture 
under the LSB?
Russ: Jon Masters came to our IRC and a few meetings, to 
advance addition of ARM, but we have not heard from him 
recently (the Fedora effort that Jon is involved in, has been 
in a 'stabilize a release mode' for its Fedora 17 release in 
recent months).  There is also the Linaro effort, but they 
have been less active toward LSB
Keld: What about Google -- they are shipping a lot of ARM 
based hardware?
Russ: Google has come to LSB venue from time to time in the 
past, but as they are shipping non-LSB conformant binaries 
with Chrome and formerly did as to Picassa under Linux, and 
have not approached the LSB as to ARM, they would by their 
actions, appear to be uninterested

Call ends at local Noon

Weekly Bug triage:
The bug tracker is at:   https://bugs.linuxbase.org/
irc-only #lsb-meeting at freenode.net
Thurs at 10:00 Eastern
Bugzilla stats as of 25 Jul: 488 open, 488 open last week
487 assigned, 1 new
New last 90 days: 127, last 30: 24; closed last 90: 153, last 
30: 29
Changed this week: 10, last week: 19
Bugs that are assigned but have no milestone: 216
Rollup bugs: 23

last week's bug triage log:

How to get involved:
  - join the mailing list
  - register for a bugzilla account (free)
  - join and lurk in the IRC channel
  - dial into the weekly call
  - join in the edit of the weekly minutes in the gobby
    Free gobby clients available at: 
  - join bug triage and resolution
  - review patches at the ReviewBoard
  - document matter in the wiki
    (requires LF web account to edit, free)


Next meeting:
  1 Aug 2012 11:00 to noon, US ET

gobby unofficial minutes are open for edit for at least 15 min 
after each call, and then issued into the mailing list

This document: LSB minutes 20120725.txt

More information about the lsb-discuss mailing list