[lsb-discuss] Thoughts on LSB ISO standard

Keld Simonsen keld at keldix.com
Sun Jul 29 11:41:55 UTC 2012

Based on Ted's writings below, it seems like the normal PAS route is not the
way to go. It seems to complicated and expensive and dangerous. My best
judgement is that The Linux Foundation, given the choice to do this, would
refuse to do it. But probably we should investigate what their opinion is,
that would only be prudent.

OTOH, the situation is different now. We do have an ISO standard, and
from the point of view of SC22 we do have to maintain that standard.

There is some positve attitude from the LSB group to help with
this process, as long as it does not draw too many resources.
We are saying that we would like to investigate how we can do it,
which means that we do not give a firm promise to do it.
We have some resources in LSB, namely Carlos and Keld, that has
promised to do some work on it, and a few other LSB people promising to help
a little (they already did:-).

We are striving to make the formal process very lightweight, with the
LSB group in focus of the work. Some people like arrangements like the POSIX
Austin Group, and an arangement like that is amongst the possibilities
to be investigated. I would like the process to not demand more resources
than what is allready available in the LSB group.

Best regards
Keld