[lsb-discuss] Thoughts on LSB ISO standard

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Mon Jul 30 23:51:46 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 08:46 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
<snip>

>> My personal opinion is that it would be good to also cover desktop elements.
>> We do not need to follow POSIX scope. We are on top of POSIX anyway.
>
> Wouldn't this mean that a server system, which doesn't have any desktop components
> could never be LSB compliant?

No, a distribution that certifies for LSB 5.0 must supply, i.e. have
available, all modules of the LSB. The LSB does not require that all
components be installed on any given system. However, the tools provide
methods for an ISV to query a system whether or not the required LSB
components for the application are installed.

> I don't know how LSB 5.0 intends to solve the "multiple different certifications"
> problem other than issuing multiple standards and certifying one system with
> multiple standards.

LSB certifies a distribution or application, any individual system may
be composed as the sysadmin of that system sees fit. For example it is
perfectly reasonable to find two systems that both run the same LSB
certified distribution and LSB certified applications (not the same
applications) that have different packages installed. Simply because
application A on system A requires different LSB modules than
application B running on system B. This is in the 5.0 world. In the LSB
4.1 world LSB will pull in everything ans thus system A and B in the
previous example would be more similar from an installed package
perspective.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead