[lsb-discuss] What id driving the current ISO hype?

Carlos O'Donell carlos_odonell at mentor.com
Tue Jul 31 15:06:44 UTC 2012

On 7/30/2012 8:21 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After reading hopefully all the messages on the ISO topic I still do
> not understand who woke the zombies?
>
> For many years we in the LSB working group have worked to improve the
> LSB and knowingly and willfully ignored the ISO certification. As Ted
> pointed out, deliberate decisions were made against the ISO process
> and the ISO certification. After all the discussion on the list, and
> the initial phone call where the ISO spec came up for the first time
> in recent history, I still do not understand what drives this
> interest.

I wasn't aware that the decision to ignore the ISO specification
was willful.

> Thus to the drivers, Carlos and Keld what is your motivation?

I believe in an international standardization process that involves
as many national bodies as possible, taking into account their
requirements, the result of which is an international standard of
high value specifically because it incorporates consensus at an
international level.

I'm willing to help work to make it possible with minimal resources
to follow a POSIX-like model where you have one standard but still
participate with the ISO, and most of the decision making and control
remains in the hands of the LSB community on the mailing list and
weekly meetings (just like the Austin Group).

However, if the rest of the LSB isn't interested in ISO, then I'm
not going to push for the ISO. I'm involved in the LSB for several
reasons, *one* of which is to look at restarting the ISO process.

As a user of the LSB I consider it to be a standard of lower value
*specifically* because it's not an ISO standard, why? It displays
what appears to be a reluctance on the part of the LSB community
to work with other countries to resolve issues that are relevant
to all Linux stakeholders (consumers, industry and government),
and to work on consensus building.

If the LSB lists only ISVs as stakeholders, and those stakeholders
don't value ISO, and neither does the LSB community, then I'd like
to hear that.

What I don't want is to have stepped up to help with the ISO work
only to face resistance from the rest of the community, which is
why I brought the topic up for discussion.

I'm not upset, I just want a truthful answer from the community.
I'll still be around after the dust settles working with the LSB
to incorporate some level of LSB testing into the glibc release
process (which is my other interest).

Cheers,
Carlos.
--