[lsb-discuss] LSB 5.0 schedule calculations: database work

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Jun 27 14:05:31 UTC 2012

By my count, there are approximately 28 C libraries being uplifted or
added in LSB 5.0.  (I did not do an exact count of the GTK+ 3 libraries,
because the dependencies are fairly complex.  Instead, I assumed a
pessimistic library count.)  Using our rule of thumb, I anticipate that
56 person-days will be needed to do all the database work for these
libraries.

Of these, we've actually done 2 (GL and SANE), leaving 26 to do, or 54 days.

None of this includes C++ libraries.  We have two basic groups for
these: libstdc++ and Qt.  The total number of libraries is 8, but with a
number of new interfaces (our table reports 1374 interfaces in Qt 4
alone).  This may be able to be simplified, as a number of the "new"
interfaces may simply be virtual function overrides.

Being pessimistic again, an off-the-top-of-my-head estimate would be to
give a person-week to libstdc++, and 4 person-weeks to Qt, just for the
database work.  I'm anticipating we might need to write some analysis
tools for determining things like how many of the C++ changes are
virtual table layout changes.

So: 25 + 54 = 79 person-days.  Assuming two people at half-time (with
the other half spent on stable updates, non-LSB work, and other
distractions), that's about 16 calendar weeks for this stage.  If we
take next week as week 1, that puts us around October 22 for a
more-or-less complete LSB 5.0 database.  With LinuxCon in that mix, too,
I'd say let's aim for November 1 to finish with the database.

Beyond that, we need to think about test suites for new stuff (GTK+ 3
and SANE come to mind), uplifts of current test suites, new appbat apps,
and testing time.

Comments welcome.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org