[lsb-discuss] Unofficial LSB conference call minutes (2012-05-02, 11 to noon)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed May 2 17:24:25 UTC 2012

LSB teleconference

Wednesday,  2 May 2012 @11:00 to noon, US ET

Where:
 	(605) 715-4920 Access Code: 512468

 	[I have an after meeting report of problems dialing
 	in ... -- Russ]

Gobby:
 	gobby -j lsb-temp.pmman.net:6522 with passwd: LSB

IRC channels are:
 	#lsb-meeting at freenode.net during meetings
 	#lsb at freenode.net most other times

prior meetbot minutes:
permission issues last week

THIS meeting's meetbot minutes:
http://stewbenedict.org/lsb/irc/meetbot/lsb-meeting/2012/lsb-meeting.2012-05-02-14.53.html

Attendees:
in the form : name (organization)  [irc_nick]
Mats Wichmann (Intel)  mwichmann - "listened" on gobby
Stew Benedict (LF)  stewb
Russ Herrold (Owl River)  orc_emac
Denis Silakov (ROSA Labs)  denis_silakov
Glen Petrie (Epson)
Jeff Licquia (LF)  licquia
Robert Schweikert (SuSE)  robjo
Rick Troth (Velocity Software) rickt - via gobby

potentials:
Alan Clark (SuSE)  AlanClark
Darren Davis (SuSE)
Jiri Dluhos (SUSE)  jdluhos
Kay Tate (SuSE)  ktate
Alexey Khoroshilov (ISP RAS)  Alexey

Apologies:
==========

Posted Agenda:
=================

  - LSB 5.0 status.

  - LSB Charter and other organizational stuff.

  - Infrastructure (via mats)

New business:
=============

Meeting opens at 11:00 with:

  - LSB 5.0 status.

Licquia: no forward motion on ncursesw
Sane added to 5.0 DB; some debugging of lingering issues in
the DB
Robert: dbus source tree examined - some test are in there,
but all functional tests rather than related to TET type API
/ ABI interface testing; does not look like TDD type tests
exist either.  Look more like ad hoc tests, in C, not written
to a test framework

licquia:  perhaps a pre-condition for inclusion into LSB,
should be the existence of a stable ABI, and a concomitant
willingness to carry  a stable set of API tests, optionally
provided from LSB; Mats via gobby: I thought we already had
that criterion

Robert: is the LSB approach too 'heavy' and something we
should be moving to, rather than carrying around a test
harness?  A topic for another day, perhaps

Action item: is the uplift target for 5.0 link farm up to
date?  target date is still not firmed up, of course

  - LSB Charter and other organizational stuff.

Russ: FOSS Jeffersonian democracy principles opening statement
-- The world belongs to the living; Constitutions should be
revisited every twenty years of so as to relevance

Robert: The link that Jeff posted is of historical interest,
but not how work is done.  It would be useful to mark it as of
such and not currently governing

Jeff:  The LF has been a friend of the LSB; we inside LSB need
to both discuss substantive process separately from the
'marketing' of certification

Russ: let's have this discussion with a proposal on the
mailing list

  - Infrastructure (via mats)

Jeff: the buildbot has struggled this week, and some rate
limiting at LF infrastructure needed sysadmin intervention

Russ: Mats and I are trying to replicate what Jeff has done as
to doco'ing getting up and solving .  The absence of visibility
into where the problems are coming from, and how they are
getting fixed

More 'breadcrumb' documentation, either in the bug tracker or
the mailing list, describing transient issues cropping up, and
their solution would help add light to how others can 'follow
along' and replicate the solutions

Robert: Russ may be too harsh here, as Jeff has done yeoman
service; Russ: no personal criticism intended at all, but
rather responding to Jeff's question as posed during the call
as to what might be done 'better'

Call ends at local Noon

Weekly Bug triage:
==================
The bug tracker is at:  https://lsbbugs.linuxfoundation.org/
irc-only #lsb-meeting at freenode.net
Thurs at 10:00 Eastern
Bugzilla stats as of 02 May: 507 open (502 assigned, 2 new, 1
reopened, 2 pleasetest) 502 open last week
New last 90 days: 138, last 30: 25; closed last 90: 108, last
30: 22
Changed this week: 16, last week: 37

Bugs that are assigned but have no milestone: 266
Rollup bugs: 23

last week's bug triage minutes:
http://stewbenedict.org/lsb/irc/meetbot/lsb-meeting/2012/lsb-meeting.2012-04-26-14.11.html

How to get involved:
  - register for a bugzilla account (free)
    https://lsbbugs.linuxfoundation.org/
  - join and lurk in the IRC channel
  - dial into the weekly call
  - join in the edit of the weekly minutes in the gobby
    Free gobby clients available at:
      http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/
  - join bug triage and resolution
  - review patches at the ReviewBoard