[lsb-discuss] Dropping architectures -- policy discussion

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Wed Nov 7 17:18:57 UTC 2012

This week and last week we spent some time on the conference call
discussing how we would handle ending the support of LSB for any given
architecture that is part of the LSB. The consensus reached was that we
do not want to implement a deprecation policy, rather, when an
architecture is proposed for removal and the decision is made to remove
the architecture it would just get removed in the next LSB release.
Thus, a policy statement along the lines of the following should be
added to our documentation.

Hardware architecture support by the LSB is LSB version specific and the
supported hardware architectures may be different in different versions
of the LSB. This implies that there is no hardware architecture
deprecation policy. Decisions about hardware architecture support for
any given LSB release are made by the work group. Points considered in
the decision are:
- Upstream support and interest
- Distribution availability
- Hardware vendor support for Linux (Certification)
- Input from the mailing list

Suggestions to the wording of this "non-policy" are welcome. If anyone
wants to argue that we need to have a deprecation policy for hardware
architectures please speak up.

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com
rschweik at ca.ibm.com