[lsb-discuss] Dropping architectures -- policy discussion

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Wed Nov 7 22:40:05 UTC 2012

Hello,

Alan Cox said on Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 05:27:31PM +0000:

> > Suggestions to the wording of this "non-policy" are welcome. If anyone
> > wants to argue that we need to have a deprecation policy for hardware
> > architectures please speak up.
>
> Not sure why you need a deprecation as such. If someone can be bothered
> to do the work presumably its not deprecated, if nobody can be bothered
> then it is ? That also recognizes there may be platforms content to sit
> on old versions or to skip one.

Today at LinuxCon Europe in Barcelona, Linus said that the kernel
deprecation policy was in fact rarely used as it was not really often the
case to drop content, as one day, a new person could be interested in
maintaining it again, and also because the overhead of maintaining that
code was mostly nothing.

So, I'd also inline to think like that as well, as expressed also by
Alan.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA         http://opensource.hp.com