[lsb-discuss] Removing IA64 for LSB 5.0

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Thu Nov 8 16:02:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

Looks like there is no one arguing for the development of a "formal"
deprecation policy for supported architectures in the LSB. Thus, we can
decide to no longer support a given architecture in upcoming releases of
the LSB.

I propose that for LSB 5.0 we drop IA64 as a supported architecture in
the LSB.

Backgound:
- There is basically only one HW vendor left that ships Itanium boxes
   (HP)
- HP no longer certifies Linux distributions on the current generation
   of Itanium processors, they are only available with HPUX
- Certainly people can run Linux on the latest boxes, but there is no
   support either from the OEM nor the distribution vendors and thus
   this is outside the scope of the LSB
- Itanium is already no longer supported by one of the major enterprise
   distributions, most community distributions focus on x86 & x86_64

Considering the state of affairs it appears that the effort of keeping
IA64 alive as a supported architecture in the LSB is no longer warranted.

Regards,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com