[lsb-discuss] unoffficial LSB conference call minutes for 24 Apr 2013

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Apr 24 17:03:39 UTC 2013

LSB teleconference

Wednesday, 24 Apr 2013 @11:00 to noon, US ET

Where:	(605) 715-4920 Access Code: 512468

Gobby:	gobby -j lsb-temp.pmman.net:6522 with passwd: LSB

IRC channels are:
 	#lsb-meeting at freenode.net during meetings
 	#lsb at freenode.net most other times

Attendees:
in the form : name (organization)  [irc_nick]
Russ Herrold (Owl River)  orc_emac
Jeff Licquia (LF)  licquia
Kay Tate (SuSE)  ktate
Glen Petrie (Epson)
Robert Schweikert (SuSE)  robjo
Mats Wichmann (Intel)  mwichmann
Rick Troth (Velocity Software) rickt

potentials:
Alexey Khoroshilov (ISP RAS)  Alexey
Denis Silakov (ROSA Labs)  denis_silakov
Carlos O'Donell (Mentor Graphics) odonell
Alan Clark (SuSE)  AlanClark
Darren Davis (SuSE)
Jiri Dluhos (SUSE)  jdluhos, bluebear
Stew Benedict ()  stewb

Apologies:
==========

Posted Agenda:
=================

  - Recap of Collab Summit meeting.

  - Build bug-fix status.

  - Next steps for LSB 5.0.

  - add on item: JPEG per Mats

New business:
=============

Meeting opens at 11:00 with:

- collab summit recap
DBUS inclusion at LSB 5.0 initial remains a sticking point as
it is causing headaches in kernel space

- builders
Mats observes that it is unsettling to see an all green
buildbot display

- LSB 5.0
back to C++ uplifts.  Prompted by virtual member functions;
C++ permits runtime resolution of methods through a 'v-table'.
False positives are potentially possible in our current tests,
from the present approach of 'assuming the library knows what
it is doing'.  A true fix will probably imply a need to
analyse the consistency of a v-table

problem is ... this may imply major surgery for the database.
It remains to be seen, but this is a 'scope creep', and
presents a time slip risk for the release of LSB 5

- JPEG
is a problem: as the old jpeg, current SOname libjpeg (at: 9),
and turbo-jpeg, lack a good solution.  Will we be forced to
drop libjpeg?
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo
   http://www.openjpeg.org/

A SOname change does not appear on their roadmap, so the issue
may simply not have occurred to them
   http://code.google.com/p/openjpeg/wiki/Roadmap

Depressingly:
     http://www.libjpeg-turbo.org/About/Jpeg-9
     ... At this time, we do not see a similar need to emulate
     the libjpeg v9 API/ABI, and this article attempts to explain
     our justification for that decision ...

Perhaps a contact to the developer is in order, but it appears
that such will not be productive and two intentionally
non-compatible variants of libjpeg is the present state of
affairs

Call ends at local 11:32

Weekly Bug triage:
==================
The bug tracker is at: https://bugs.linuxbase.org/
irc-only #lsb-meeting at freenode.net
Thurs at 10:00 Eastern
Bugzilla stats as of 24 Apr: 527 open (529 on 04/10), 527
assigned
New last 90 days: 55, last 30: 6; closed last 90: 54, last 30:
21
Changed this week: 4, last week: 9
Bugs that are assigned but have no milestone: 220, Rollup
bugs: 20

no triage meeting last week

How to get involved:
  - register for a bugzilla account (free)
    https://lsbbugs.linuxfoundation.org/
  - join and lurk in the IRC channel
  - dial into the weekly call and participate
  - join in the edit of the weekly minutes in the gobby
    Free gobby clients available at:
http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/
  - join bug triage and resolution
  - file and fix bugs
  - review patches at the ReviewBoard
  - document matter in the wiki
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB
    (requires LF web account to edit, free)
  - set up and run a puppet build master and build slave
continuous integration tester
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_Puppet
  - Read about editting the specification
    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/SpecNewbieGuide