[lsb-discuss] Thoughts on using lsb-sdk for cross compiler toolchain?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Aug 27 22:33:14 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 04:07 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Gregory Fong <gregory.0xf0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone else gone down this before path and reached a conclusion?
>> Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've been down this path before and used a Red Hat chroot. I wish I
> had used the LSB SDK for this purpose. I think what you're doing is
> exactly the right solution for your requirements.

It's really the sort of thing the LSB is intended for, and there are
even some extra tools to help (the application checker is able to do an
analysis suggesting what kind of portability you've achieved).

The negative... well, things are still moving at a fairly rapid pace
upstream and it's somewhat hard for LSB to keep up; and not as much
stuff as one might hope has achieved the kind of commonality consensus
(and work done to import) that one might want.

I do suggest that problems you run into be reported back here (the
bugtracker is an excellent place to request more stuff), but of course
new additions will appear in LSB 5.0 and later and so still doesn't get
you the wide range of distribution support.