[lsb-discuss] Thoughts on using lsb-sdk for cross compiler toolchain?

Gregory Fong gregory.0xf0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 01:08:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 04:07 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Gregory Fong <gregory.0xf0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone else gone down this before path and reached a conclusion?
>>> Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I've been down this path before and used a Red Hat chroot. I wish I
>> had used the LSB SDK for this purpose. I think what you're doing is
>> exactly the right solution for your requirements.
>
> It's really the sort of thing the LSB is intended for, and there are
> even some extra tools to help (the application checker is able to do an
> analysis suggesting what kind of portability you've achieved).
>
> The negative... well, things are still moving at a fairly rapid pace
> upstream and it's somewhat hard for LSB to keep up; and not as much
> stuff as one might hope has achieved the kind of commonality consensus
> (and work done to import) that one might want.

Carlos and Mats, thank you both for your input.  Considering the
inconvenience of requiring the old Red Hat chroot to build a reliably
deployable toolchain, I'll continue working at getting everything to
build properly with the LSB SDK and will plan on reporting issues as I
track them down.

> I do suggest that problems you run into be reported back here (the
> bugtracker is an excellent place to request more stuff), but of course
> new additions will appear in LSB 5.0 and later and so still doesn't get
> you the wide range of distribution support.

Well, I'm sure our future selves will appreciate it one day when RHEL
7 and Ubuntu 14.04 are considered obsolete ;-).

Cheers,

Gregory