[lsb-discuss] LSB 5.0 Beta 1

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Dec 11 20:04:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013, Dallman, John wrote:

> > The LSB workgroup is pleased to announce the availability of
> > LSB 5.0 Beta 1.
>
> How much support for C++11 does this have? Sp4cifically, GCC 4.7.2
> and later?

We discussed this in the call today, as well in prior calls.

The relevant parts of the minutes today are:

C++11 discussion -- again, the upstream standard is itself in
motion, and might fairly be characterized as shipped partially
baked, such that GCC and others are chasing a moving target.
Tactically we will probably end up fixing as breakage is
noted, but emitting headers out of the database has proven to
be challenging, and so we will not get to a final solution in
5.0

===============

Obviously GCC is not the be all and end of all of C++
compilers.  The LLVM / Clang suite is quite credible and
useful in local testing in ferretting out assumptions in code
not supported in the C++ standards

What features are in your Requirements that you hope to see
expressed which are new in C++0X^h^h11 ?

( Stroustrup discusses the partial completeness yet
ratification in his typical low-keyed manner in:
	http://www.stroustrup.com/C++11FAQ.html#1x

The next two sections of that webpage merit contemplation in
this context -- heck, the whole page is worth reading and
thinking about carefully )

-- Russ herrold