[lsb-discuss] LSB 5.0 Beta 1

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Thu Dec 12 10:50:09 UTC 2013

R P Herrold [mailto:herrold at owlriver.com] wrote:

> Tactically we will probably end up fixing as breakage is noted,
> but emitting headers out of the database has proven to be
> challenging, and so we will not get to a final solution in 5.0

Oh, well.

> Obviously GCC is not the be all and end of all of C++ compilers.
> The LLVM / Clang suite is quite credible and useful in local testing
> in ferretting out assumptions in code not supported in the C++
> standards

Indeed. But among the uses my employer makes of C++ is shipping closed-
source libraries to ISVs who need to integrate them into their
applications. Using Clang for that on Linux would add considerable fear,
uncertainty and doubt to the customers' integration task. Yes, it should
all work fine, but proving that to all the customers, via support people
who think in Windows, would be hard work. We use Clang on OS X and we're
happy with it there, but OS X is being shifted to Clang by Apple, without
much option for ISVs.

The reason we use LSB is that it means those libraries can currently run
on more or less any Linux. Obviously code built to an LSB standard with
support for C++11 would need a C++11 capable system to run on, but those
should become fairly standard in a couple of years' time, now that RHEL7
is in beta. So we're going to have to wait for a later LSB.

> What features are in your Requirements that you hope to see
> expressed which are new in C++0X^h^h11 ?

Sadly, different product teams have different C++11 features that they're
interested in, ranging from "nothing" to "almost everything". The ones that
are most interested in C++11 don't currently produce LSB-compliant code
anyway, and the lack of support for C++11 just means they become less
interested in the idea.

thanks,

--
John Dallman