[lsb-discuss] LSB tests integrated in ROSA development cycle

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Mar 12 13:58:00 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 03:34 AM, Denis Silakov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A news for those who is interested in how LSB tests are used in
> different distributions - as a proof of concept, we've recently
> implemented regular execution of the most simple tests (cmdchk and
> libchk) as a part of ROSA automated testing -
> http://fba.rosalinux.ru/autotest/ (click to numbers at the "Tests"
> column - cmdchk and libchk are there).
>
> Actually LSB tests have been used in ROSA for almost a year (and surely,
> we try not only to use the tests, but also to improve them), but up to
> now they were launched manually using DistChecker. And from now on, the
> tests are launched nightly and there is a publicly available page with
> regularly updated test results.
>
> To be sure, we'll add more test suites in future. Though some suites are
> very "heavy" and take too much time, but most of the tests should not
> introduce many problems.
>
> But even libchk and cmdchk already allowed us to discover a couple of
> issues, one of which seems to be an upstream bug -
> https://sourceforge.net/p/libpng/bugs/202/.
>
> My personal opinion is that LSB provides one of the largest automated
> test suites in the FLOSS world and it would be a mistake not to use it
> in the distribution development process. Hopefully it will allow to make
> our distribution better (as well as other distributions and upstream
> products).
>
> So thanks a lot for your work guys!

This is definitely good news.  We've had some efforts in this direction
before, but they haven't seemed to 'stick' (or else they've done so and
we've never heard about them again).  Some sort of sanity-check on
ever-changing versions from upstream (and local patches) has always been
a value proposition, never fully realized...

-- mats