[lsb-discuss] LSB SDK automatically dynamic links LSB libs - intended behavior?

Gregory Fong gregory.0xf0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 01:33:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
> On 09/23/2013 08:10 PM, Gregory Fong wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently noticed that lsbcc does an interesting thing if you try to
>> explicitly specify that libraries contained within in the LSB spec
>> should be statically linked: they get automatically changed to
>> dynamic.
>> I can't seem to find
>> any way to force ncurses to be statically linked with lsbcc.  If
>> anyone has any insights here, would love to hear!
>
> you'll need to specify by name - libncurses.a rather than -lncurses.
> the tool doesn't fiddle with objects listed without the -l{lib} notation.

Thanks for pointing that out.  It does require knowing where the
library is, which is a bit ugly and something of a pain if you're
trying to just grab the system copy, but it _does_ work.

> The behavior is intentional, but possibly not completely thought out.
> As you say - corner case; but for some reason we've been finding a lot
> of corner cases in the last few months... seems to go in cycles!
>
> A bugzilla report would not be looked at askance, even though there
> might not be a fix (beyond the above suggestion) for a while.

I'll put together a report.  Even if it's decided that there won't be
a fix for a while, or it's decided that this is the intended behavior, a
documentation update explaining this would be helpful.

Best regards,

Gregory