[lsb-discuss] ISO standards for LSB standards after 3.1?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Sep 27 16:07:05 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 09:48 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> Mats Wichmann wrote:
>
>> There's been a couple of spurts of interest in reviving this track, if
>> you have reason to care, a comment here would be added to the tally...
>
> I have some reason, though it's not crucial. Siemens, my employer, likes
> being able to quote standards compliance, and complying with an ISO standard
> means something to a lot of people who have not heard of LSB.
>
> It's also helpful to me in trying to get more parts of the company to use
> LSB standards - but LSB 3.1 is getting to be somewhat obsolete. Having an
> ISO standard number for LSB 5.0 would help me, a bit, with persuading
> people to adopt it.

Okay, John - noted.

3.1 is indeed rather long in the tooth, the portion (Core) which became
the ISO standard dates back to Oct. 2005.  It would be hard to do 5.0
with 5.0 not yet released, there had been some talk of refreshing with
4.1, but as hinted there's not anything specific happening at the
moment, and maybe 5.0 would make some sense.