[lsb-discuss] ISO standards for LSB standards after 3.1?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Sep 27 17:13:24 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 10:45 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> Mats Wichmann wrote:
>
>> c++11 is not in the 5.0 roadmap, fwiw.
>
> Oh, dear. That may force me to abandon the use of LSB.
>
> I produce software components that are written in C and C++. Some parts of the
> company are very keen to use C++11 features in new code. If I can't keep C++11
> code out of those components until I have an LSB that supports them, then I
> won't be able to use LSB for them.
>
> If the situation is that LSB will never support C++11, I should start making my
> plans to drop LSB now.

No, that's not the case. The situation was that while making the plans
for 5.0, we were told pretty definitively that implementations
(libstdc++/g++) were not ready yet to require C++11.  So we didn't.
There /is/ a task to uplift the level of C++ support to match relatively
current libstdc++ usage.  Maybe that will be enough?  Also, since 5.0
has been considerably slower getting to the finish line than
anticipated, maybe the situation I refer to ("not ready") is no longer true?