[lsb-discuss] Don't blame LSB and standards, please: was: Re: Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Denis Silakov dsilakov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 06:31:11 UTC 2014

On 01.04.2014 10:16, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I personally find this area more interesting than getting third-party,
> often closed-source, applications working across Linux distributions, but
> I also think there are a lot of other communities working on this problem:
> Autoconf and Automake, all the various upstream communities that care
> about portability, a lot of interdistribution communication channels, and
> some projects that are specifically aimed at turning the best practices of
> a variety of distributions into code (systemd, for instance).  So I'm not
> sure there's a large space for LSB here, although there are certainly
> things like the FHS that are valuable in that direction.

Yes, that's correct. Though there is one thing concerning the tests,
again - for years we had an idea to merge at least some of the tests to
upstream (so the issues could be discovered and fixed directly by
upstream, avoiding the 'upstream -> distribution or LSB testing ->
upstream' chain). But currently this is not so easy, we should be able
to provide a really standalone test suites for this (this is a question
risen by Robert discusses in a parallel thread about "new world").

--
Regards,
Denis.