[lsb-discuss] Don't blame LSB and standards, please: was: Re: Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 08:03:27 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 12:26 AM, Hohndel, Dirk wrote:

> On 3/31/14, 4:52 PM, ""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/31/2014 11:06 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>>> it generally doesn't result in changes that lead to
>>> unification, at least not as far as the big picture is concerned.
>> By now people should be aware of the changes taking place on the
>> core/baseOS level so if downstream distribution building upon the
>> components where the fragmentation is seizing to exist, like it or not,
>> admitting it or not the undisputed fact is those distributions are being
>> unified up to certain extent which honestly is not a bad thing, it truly
>> is a win win situation for everybody and the linux ecosystem in whole.
> SHOULD being the operative word.
> Following this email thread I find it encouraging how many things you
> are able to state as fact and out of the depth of knowledge that clearly
> shows your commitment to the process of standardization and the promise
> of active contribution.

If I'm going to be jumping on standardization bandwagon I will need to
know how open LSB and linux foundation in general is to start coming up
with a standardization model where each of the linux standards out there
complement each other as opposed to compete against each other so we
dont wind up with scenarios like this [¹].

Starting with adjusting the LSB specification to make it GENIVI*®*
compliant so when you become LSB X.0 Certified you are also GENIVI
compliant.

The reason for this is obvious the traditional desktop/server
distribution model as we come to know it through out the year are
seizing to exist so distributions will either adapt to the emerging
"smart" phone/tablet generation or risk becoming extinct in the process.

It's only a matter of time before Intel/Samsung <someone else> realize
that there is a market opportunity/business case for completely tablet
run or tabled controlled infrastructure a.k.a "smart infrastructure"
which most likely would be built upon Tizen ( that is if they have not
figured it our already ) so instead of risk having those standards grow
apart we work towards making the necessary steps for them complement
each other.

JBG

1. https://xkcd.com/927/