[lsb-discuss] Don't blame LSB and standards, please: was: Re: Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Hohndel, Dirk dirk.hohndel at intel.com
Tue Apr 1 14:04:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-01 at 08:03 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> If I'm going to be jumping on standardization bandwagon I will need to
> know how open LSB and linux foundation in general is to start coming
> up with a standardization model where each of the linux standards out
> there complement each other as opposed to compete against each other
> so we dont wind up with scenarios like this [¹].

Oh, I get it. Before you help us we need to prove to you that we are
open and we do so by doing what you tell us needs to be done.

Makes perfect sense. Those of us who have done this for the past 16
years clearly need to show you that we are serious about this. I get it.

> Starting with adjusting the LSB specification to make it GENIVI®
> compliant so when you become LSB X.0 Certified you are also GENIVI
> compliant.

So the overarching standard needs to change so that it complies with
something that a bunch of car makers decided would work for them (in the
past year and a half). Again, completely reasonable.

> The reason for this is obvious the traditional desktop/server
> distribution model as we come to know it through out the year are
> seizing to exist so distributions will either adapt to the emerging
> "smart" phone/tablet generation or risk becoming extinct in the
> process.

Again, totally agree with you. Google and Facebook are already
transitioning their data centers to run on Android, as we all know.

I will now exit your alternative reality and go back to mine.

/D