[lsb-discuss] Don't blame LSB and standards, please: was: Re: Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Tue Apr 1 15:56:05 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 11:20 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On 04/01/2014 02:04 PM, Hohndel, Dirk wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-04-01 at 08:03 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
<snip>

> Even university's dont spew out code these day's without app being
> attached to it but by all means ignore changes and the market and laugh
> all you want and design the LSB standard to exclude
> embedded/mobile/tablet in any shape or form and continue live in your
> alternative reality.

Sorry, but you are displaying very strong ignorance here. The LSB as it
stands today is an ABI standard. And while I agree with you that the
proliferation of "alternate" computing devices such as tablets smart
phones, and who knows whats next, is far from being done. You also have
to realize that all these devices are different, there is simply no
standard. You cannot standardize the ARM 32 architecture, because there
simply is no one ARM 32 processor. Almost every ARM chip that is out
there today uses special boot code. The 32 bit ARM architecture leaves
many decisions about what and what not to include on the chip up to the
manufacturer. There is nothing to standardize. Things will be
potentially different with AArch64, but there's no hardware. While the
discussions around AArch 64 have been going on for many years there's
simply no hardware. And in an ironic turn of events I get to quote you
(paraphrasing) "a standard that has no users is useless". Well if we'd
created LSB for AArch64 we'd have no users by definition as there is no
hardware.

As we have decided to change our approach last week this discussion is
more or less moot. Thus I am done now.

Please consider that bold statements that are difficult to substantiate,
convey, and provide insufficient details rarely get the desired response.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
Public Cloud Architect