[lsb-discuss] Don't blame LSB and standards, please: was: Re: Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Apr 3 00:39:44 UTC 2014

On 04/01/14 09:20, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> I would think that a clear well written standard could be applied to
> embedded/cloud/containers/servers/desktop but apparently I was wrong.

For the embedded level devices a different standardization model is in
use.  For both Android and Tizen, the model boils down to: Here's a
Reference Implementation, yours shall work Exactly Like This (and of
course for iOS, nobody else even gets to make devices). And you shall
prove it. Normally "work exactly like this" means using identical source
code. A reference-implementation-based approach is not wrong, but the
LSB has followed a different one for well-considered and (I believe)
fairly obvious reasons.  Even given technical differences due to
different device classes, that would be a tough divide to cross.