[lsb-discuss] Potential overlap with freedesktop.org?

Greg KH gregkh at linux.com
Sat Apr 5 20:28:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 06:43:58PM -0600, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 04/02/14 18:21, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In a discussion about user naming on the openSUSE factory list [1][2],
> > Greg KH pointed out that there may be potential overlap with
> > freedesktop.org and our chosen direction after LSB 5.0.
> >
> > I can see areas where this potential exists, but I am not certain if
> > there is reason for concern.
> >
> > From my point of view our focus on testing, ISV and potentially admin
> > issues looks at the world form a different angle. That's not to say that
> > there will not be areas where close collaboration with freedesktop.org
> > may be a good thing but I still think there is sufficient distinction.
> >
> > Just wanted to share this on this list to expand the circle of awareness.
>
> Sure, worth keeping in mind.  It was no problem in the old model: if fdo
> had forged a nice consensus on something, LSB could include it by
> reference - and would stay out of the way until that happened.  So no
> conflict there at all.

But why get the LSB involved in things like this at all?  You now are
saying there should be 2 different groups that people should use to
create cross-distro specs and resolve issues.  How will the two groups
interact?  How will someone pick which one to use?  And how will the
inevitable conflicts between issues codified in different ways by the
two groups be resolved?

Was fdo somehow not working well enough for the LSB?  Why get into this
area at all?

greg k-h