[lsb-discuss] unofficial LSB conference call minutes for 23 Apr 2014, post Collab 'New LSB' wiki point in time drop

chrubis at suse.cz chrubis at suse.cz
Wed Apr 23 17:28:57 UTC 2014

Hi!
>    Thus, the top-heavy TET-based workflow we've used up to now
> will be considered legacy. New work will focus on a very
> streamlined test API, that looks like the standard C/Unix API,
> with optional helper libraries that can mimic many of the
> features of the sophisticated test suites.  On top of this, we
> will develop frameworks that will be focused on making working
> with our tests easy: both on the test development side, and on
> the framework side. This will allow more effective selection
> of subsets of tests that are useful for more purposes than
> just a full certification, allowing integrating subsets of our
> tests with other people's workflows.

Maybe there is no need to reinvent the wheel. LTP has quite minimalistic
test library that has:

* printf-like API for reporting test failures/errors/information

* tst_tmpdir() and tst_rmdir() to create/recursively remove
  unique test temorary directory

* runtime kernel version detection

* tst_mkfs() function for format device with a filesystem

* safe macros that simplify error handling

* estabilished cleanup callback convention

* fifo based parent/child synchronization

* filesystem type detection function

* ...

Most of the API is now documented in the Test Writing Guidelines[1]. I
strongly suggest to look at what we have before you start designing your
test API. Maybe you can even adopt what we allrady have.

[1] https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/Test-Writing-Guidelines

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis at suse.cz