[lsb-discuss] GSoC 2014

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Feb 8 18:05:40 UTC 2014

On 02/08/2014 10:15 AM, Denis Silakov wrote:
> On 02/06/14 19:24, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>
>> The GSoC ideas page for LSB is up:
>>
>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/2014-gsoc-lsb-projects
>>
>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2014
>>

>> Please post your ideas well before the organization application
>> deadline on Feb 14.
>
> Ok, I have finally  added one.

I certainly agree this is one of the biggest needs.  I have trouble
myself knowing how large the scope is, if this is reasonable for a
summer project.  Should be, I guess.

I think in terms of presenting an appealing project to a candidate maybe
we should use a more creative-sounding word than "improve". From my
viewpoint, we need to develop a /new/ tool which understands the c++
structure and captures it in a way that integrates with the database.
We can then say that there is an existing tool which does a partial job,
and which can be consulted for information.  If then after research it
turns out polishing the existing tool is better than writing a new one,
that becomes a detail of the project.