[lsb-discuss] Why python was chosen as a part of LSB?

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Jun 13 15:37:52 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014 07:31 PM, Net Kgk wrote:
> Ruby is popular.

Ruby has had problems with standardization.  They broke backward
compatibility in a maintenance release a while back, as I recall.  Also,
they typically don't maintain old versions for any length of time when
these breaks do happen; it's generally "just upgrade".  That's not going
to be possible with enterprise distros with multiple-year commitments to
compatibility.

They seem to have changed a bit in their attitudes towards standards,
though, so who knows what the future will hold?

> Perl is popular.

And is a part of the LSB, added at the same time as Python.

> Javascript is popular.

But, until recently, had no interpreter outside of the browser.  How, in
the world before node.js, was one suppose to write a JavaScript program
and just run it?

But, yes; now that we have node.js, JavaScript would likely be fine.

> Any
> programing language, if it has some practical use is popular and have
> some community, so why chose only one of them?

We chose two.  See above, re: Perl.

> Really? Why any Desktop installation requires at least two versions of
> python, then?

Because when they wanted to refactor the language, they did it in a
separate development effort, and were careful to preserve compatibility
for old scripts by maintaining the old version for a long time (and are,
indeed, still maintaining it).  This is something we look for when
considering things to standardize.

> LSB have a power to convince people to use one technology or another,
> and this power must be used wisely. Until then, we will still be
> reading "motivations" like this one
> https://honcho.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#why-did-you-port-foreman

Sorry about your luck, there.  But adding Ruby to the LSB wouldn't have
fixed that problem, because Ruby isn't (or wasn't) in the position to be
counted on as "just part of the Linux environment".  That's a position
they chose, and while it has some advantages for them, it also has some
drawbacks, and this is one of them.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org