[lsb-discuss] Why python was chosen as a part of LSB?

Net Kgk netkgk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:41:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Jeff Licquia
<licquia at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Ruby has had problems with standardization.  They broke backward
> compatibility in a maintenance release a while back, as I recall.  Also,
> they typically don't maintain old versions for any length of time when
> these breaks do happen; it's generally "just upgrade".  That's not going
> to be possible with enterprise distros with multiple-year commitments to
> compatibility.
Same as python (I have two version installed at the moment as Gnome 3
requirements), same as Linux kernel itself. Linus Torvalds had
expressed clearly about backward compatibility. API freeze leads to
slow down of project development.

> They seem to have changed a bit in their attitudes towards standards,
> though, so who knows what the future will hold?
>
>> Perl is popular.
>
> And is a part of the LSB, added at the same time as Python.
I didn't count Perl intentionally, as in general it is not used for
new projects and is not considered as a 'modern'.

>> Javascript is popular.
>
> But, until recently, had no interpreter outside of the browser.  How, in
> the world before node.js, was one suppose to write a JavaScript program
> and just run it?
Mozilla's JavaScript implementation are available for years
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/ including separate
interpreter.

> Because when they wanted to refactor the language, they did it in a
> separate development effort, and were careful to preserve compatibility
> for old scripts by maintaining the old version for a long time (and are,
> indeed, still maintaining it).  This is something we look for when
> considering things to standardize.
Please answer my initial question: How exactly two python interpreters
installed are better of the two Ruby interpreters.

> Sorry about your luck, there.  But adding Ruby to the LSB wouldn't have
> fixed that problem, because Ruby isn't (or wasn't) in the position to be
> counted on as "just part of the Linux environment".  That's a position
> they chose, and while it has some advantages for them, it also has some
> drawbacks, and this is one of them.
So what you're saying, there's no way to add Ruby or JavaScript to LSB
even  if all required test will be provided?