[lsb-discuss] Github LSB notice

Rob Conde rob.conde at ai-solutions.com
Fri Oct 24 01:17:37 UTC 2014

Sorry - to clarify, if I google Linux Standard Base, the first url is:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb

However, the github readme notes:

"Therefore, at the face to face meeting held during the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit in March, 2014, the working group has concluded that rather than producing a voluminous specification, the working group should transform its work to emphasize its other role as a neutral venue to discuss and resolve cross-distribution topics that are important to ISVs and distributors. This new focus will allow the working group to continue to provide the value of contributing to distribution compatibility while at the same time being more involved in cross-distribution discussions.

The LSB 5.0 specification released in 2014 may well be the last of its kind. The specification and tests are in maintenance mode. Bugs will be accepted and fixed and these bug fixes may be released as updates, i.e. 5.0.1 and others as needed. However, we do not presently plan to work new major LSB specification releases such as LSB 5.1 or 6.0. "

...it just seems like for anyone interested in LSB, this would be of significant interest. Thus, it was a bit surprising to me that this information wasn't front and center on the link above, so I wondered if there was a reason why.

Rob