[lsb-discuss] C++ Language / Compiler Support Timeline

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Jan 6 00:40:42 UTC 2015

On 01/05/15 16:31, Lachlan.Hetherton at csiro.au wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before here or elsewhere; I wasn’t quite sure where I should be looking.
>
> I was just wondering what the current status of C++11 support is in the current LSB 5.0 release candidate, and what timeline the group has planned for providing C++11 (or greater) support in upcoming LSB releases? Building our cross-platform project (and its dependencies) against the LSB is becoming less attractive number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is holding us back from using important (and convenient) new C++ language constructs on all our platforms.

Right place to ask.

Not sure I have anything on this that you'll want to hear, though these
days my comments are decidedly unofficial, it's been quite a while since
anyone actually funded my involvement in  the project.

C++11 won't be in LSB 5.0.  It required work - not a trivial amount -
and there was nobody to do the work.  I did the work to uplift the LSB
parts that intersect with POSIX to the POSIX 2008 standard, meaning
we're only 6-7 years behind the curve on that one, and I had to do that
on my own personal time. LSB 5.0 is now wrapped as far as feature additions.

It's becoming decidedly unclear to me that LSB has any real future as an
application target.  If there's enough interest - yours certainly being
a factor in that - resources will probably end up getting assigned by
those who can do so, but I can't speak to any kind of commitment or
schedule in that regard, and to be honest the interest shown recently
has been small and sporadic. If someone stepped up to volunteer the
heavy lifting part of the job it would not be turned down I'm sure, but
it's hard to see where that would come from.  We've gotten a few bits of
interesting work done through Google Summer of Code projects the past
few years, but that would require a mentor volunteer and an interested
student (and acceptance of the project).

Sorry not to have more positive comments.