[lsb-discuss] C++ Language / Compiler Support Timeline

Craig Scott audiofanatic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 11:29:05 UTC 2015

If LSB were wanting to add Qt5, it would probably need C++11 for that since
I suspect most linux distros would be building their Qt5 libraries with
C++11 switched on, since Qt5 benefits considerably from some C++11
features. I suspect both Qt5 and C++11 support are both, however, going to
be too big a chunk for anyone to have the time to put into adding them to
the LSB. But if someone did have the inclination, C++11 would have to come
first.

On 7 January 2015 at 21:55, Dallman, John <john.dallman at siemens.com> wrote:

> > Lachlan.Hetherton at csiro.au wrote:
>
> > > I was just wondering what the current status of C++11 support is
> > > in the current LSB 5.0 release candidate, and what timeline the
> > > group has planned for providing C++11 (or greater) support in
> > > upcoming LSB releases? Building our cross-platform project (and
> > > its dependencies) against the LSB is becoming less attractive
> > > number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is holding
> > > us back from using important (and convenient) new C++ language
> > > constructs on all our platforms.
>
> I will be in a similar situation in the future. However, if LSB 5.0 will
> work for C++98 compiled with GCC 4.8.x, there is less urgency
>
> My developers aren't demanding to use C++11, since we still have to support
> AIX, where C++11 support is not yet complete.
>
> Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>
> > It's becoming decidedly unclear to me that LSB has any real future as an
> > application target.  If there's enough interest - yours certainly being
> > a factor in that - resources will probably end up getting assigned by
> > those who can do so, but I can't speak to any kind of commitment or
> > schedule in that regard, and to be honest the interest shown recently
> > has been small and sporadic.
>
> We remain interested and use LSB for all our library products, because it
> works very well for those. The end-user application development teams are
> less interested in it, because of the lack of Motif: Linux isn't a big
> enough part of application sales to make it worth developing a new user
> interface.
>
> If LSB 5.0 will work for C++98 compiled with GCC 4.8.x, I'm good for a few
> years.
>
> best,
>
> --
> John Dallman