[lsb-discuss] Trying to link libreadline.a, LSB 4.0 on SLES11

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Apr 8 18:49:25 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 08:36 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
>> The two-letter all-caps ones typically come from libtinfo (which is part of
>> the ncurses build, but a separate library), and in fact I find them there
>> when looking.
>
> I can't find libtinfo on this SLES11sp1 system. I have libncurses:
>
> rpm -q -filesbypkg libncurses5-5.6-90.55
> libncurses5               /lib64/libncurses.so.5
> libncurses5               /lib64/libncurses.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /lib64/libncursesw.so.5
> libncurses5               /lib64/libncursesw.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libform.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libform.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libformw.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libformw.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libmenu.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libmenu.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libmenuw.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libmenuw.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libpanel.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libpanel.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libpanelw.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libpanelw.so.5.6
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libtic.so.5
> libncurses5               /usr/lib64/libtic.so.5.6
>
> I don't have a /lib64/libtinfo* or /usr/lib64/libtinfo*. I have /usr/lib64/libtic*, but that seems to be part of tic, the terminal information compiler. Any guesses as to other packages that might contain it?
>
> I'm not going for the battery yet, because I'd like to solve this using as few additional installs as possible. This is because I am not competent at Linux sysadmin, nor authorised to do it (I'm a developer) and need to minimise what I ask my sysadmins to do, across a large number of Linux machines.

on Fedora, which probably is not packaged the same, the static
libtinfo.a comes from ncurses-devel.

But you're going to have to build your own readline using lsbcc, or use
ours, because you need to use one that has not picked up the wider
environment while it was built, which the distro version would do. that
shows up in the other symbols you found problems with.

you don't need to install the lsb-build-libbat package, you can just
drop the file into your build area, just as an experiment to see if it's
going to work.

something like this, taken off the top of my head:

wget
http://ftp.linuxbase.org/pub/lsb/lsbdev/unreleased/4.0-libbat/lsb-build-libbat-1.4.1-1.lsb4.x86_64.rpm
rpm2cpio lsb-build-libbat-1.4.1-1.lsb4.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idv
./opt/lsb/lib64-4.0/libreadline.a
mv ./opt/lsb/lib64-4.0/libreadline.a .