[lsb-discuss] Trying to link libreadline.a, LSB 4.0 on SLES11

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Apr 20 12:51:01 UTC 2016

On 04/20/2016 05:38 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> Mats wrote:
>
>> as I mentioned, they're normally resolved by libtinfo, which is part of curses.
>
> Well, -lncurses does not resolve them, even if I put multiple copies on the link line, before or after the -lreadline that gets the LSB libbattery libreadline.a. You tell me that libtinfo is supposed to supply this, and I believe you, but I don't have it.
>
> The files that the SLES11sp1 readline-devel package provides include a libreadline.a and a libhistory.a, and corresponding .so files, but no libtinfo.

it won't be in readline-devel, your next bits are on the right track,
though:

> I looked on SLES12, where there is a libtinfo.so.5, which comes from package libncurses5-5.9-40.124.x86_64, and a libtinfo.a, which  comes from ncurses-devel-5.9-40.124.x86_64. Both are in /usr/lib64.
>
> So either SLES11 doesn't provide a libtinfo at all, or it's part of some other package that I don't have installed. If there's a way to ask the package manager which un-installed package would provide a file, I have not been able to discover it. I've searched the package list on suse.com, and I can't see anything promising there.
>
> Any suggestions?

I think you're looking for something like:

zypper search --provides --match-exact libtinfo.a

I won't promise that's exactly the right syntax, but something like
that, assuming SLES11 has zypper, that is.  My memory isn't that good.