[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 vs LSB 4.1 certification

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Fri Aug 12 09:40:24 UTC 2016

Mats Wichmann [mailto:mats at wichmann.us] wrote:

> So the odds are pretty good that anything modern (CentOS 7 being in that category)
> will support a lot more interfaces than the set required by LSB.

The tricky bit here is that I'm trying to build on CentOS 7 for backwards compatibility onto older generation distros.

> You can always check on the history of interfaces in LSB by checking the Navigator, for example:
>
> http://linuxbase.org/navigator/browse/int_single.php?cmd=list-by-name&Ilibrary=libc&Iname=dl_iterate_phdr
>
> You can look down in the "Presence in distributions" section to get some hints on how well it's likely
> to go; it looks like all surveyed distros provide the interface.  It was originally left out not because
> it wasn't implemented, but because it wasn't part of the POSIX dl*() set.

OK, that looks promising.

> The idea with the "stub libraries" was to make sure unexpected references didn't creep into code, but
> it's not a perfect solution, and in particular if you have to reach out into non-LSB libraries, it
> usually goes wrong.  As I think you've found out before.

I have never tried to use non-LSB libraries, although I have used non-LSB features from LSB libraries via dl_open/dl_sym. I'll have to be very cautious about doing so in this LSB 4.1 build.

thanks,

--
John Dallman
DF PL TO OT PC PDE