[lsb-discuss] GSoC 2016 - LSB Navigator Improvements

Michael Kraev michaelkraev1991 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:15:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

GSoC 2016 is coming to the end and I have submitted all the changes I have
made so far. Last changes were pushed to bzr by Denis yesterday.

Here is a brief summary of what was done:

* Changes to LSB Database schema to be able to store "versioned"
Provides/Requires:
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/specdb/revision/1519
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/specdb/revision/1518

* Updates to componenttodb scripts - added Deb packages support,
implemented parsing of versioned Requires/Provides and turned on collecting
this data by default:
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/49
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/50
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/51
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/52
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/53
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/54

* Additional fix to componenttodb scripts - it turned out that
upload_distr_data.pl could create too many forks and fail due to this:
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/componenttodb/revision/55

* And the main patch for LSB Navigator that adds support for
CompRequires/CompProvides data:
http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/lsb/devel/dbadmin/revision/303

The patch also incorporates some cleanup and refactoring performed on the
basis of Navigator auto tests analysis.

To make this patch really useful, one should update distribution data in
the LSB database. Currently we are working with Denis on collecting such a
data for new distributions, it should be ready by the end of the week. Then
Denis wants to make some more improvements to Navigator (not connected to
ny GSoC work) and announce a new Navigator version.

As a result, no we will have an ability to browse Provides/Requires of
different packages in different Linux distributions and search among them
in the manner of rpm.pbone,net or pkgs.org. To be sure, there can be a lot
of ideas about improving the current implementation and I hope I will be
able to help with oit after GSoC.

--
Mikhail.