[lsb-discuss] Hard coded directories in makefiles

Brian Mayer blmayer at icloud.com
Sat Oct 29 15:38:45 UTC 2016

Hello all,

While trying to build LFS in a non standard hierarchy I faced the problem
of having to tweak variables so programs can compile OK, however those
makefiles have directories explicitly written in the code. Therefore I have
to edit those makefiles and put the correct path so the makefile can find
/dev/null and /bin/sh for example.

Hence my question is: Won't it be good if we could parse those variables to
makefiles or configure script, e.g. DEVDIR=/path/to/dev/ make, so they
could compile correctly?

This way we would be able to build custom systems easily, without the use
of symlinks or having to edit makefiles, and if we wish to comply with FHS
it will be easy the same way.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad