[Lsb-infrastructure] Dev box info

David Ames david at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 16 16:36:02 PDT 2008

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Theodore Tso wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:31:23AM -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>>> 12-15 gig is enough for a builder; a tester should require
>>> somewhat less.  But if we count on 15 gig per appliance/chroot,
>>> 73 gig should hold 4 or 5, which is plenty for now.
>>>
>>> so I'd say we want to update lfdev-amd64 with another disk and
>>> AT LEAST 1gb more ram (it might not go higher, pc-class machines
>>> are funky that way if that's what this is), and lfdev-ia32 with
>>> a bigger second drive if it's not too much trouble to do that.
>>> the others seem like they should be okay for now.
>> I'd think we'd want to take at least lfdef-amd64 and lfdef-ia64 to at
>> least 4GB, wouldn't you think?  Especially if people are thinking
>> about playing with Xen guests....

Turns out I had some drives left in my spare pile. I have shipped these down to OSU. So we
can put them in lfdev-amd64 and lfdev-ia32.

Also, we partitioned /dev/sdb on lfdev-ia64 which added 73 GB to /data.

> yes, that would be good.
>
> my hesitation on the amd64 was for the reason Michael brought up:
> if it's a PC-class machine, there can be funnies (bios putting
> resources in the 4th gig of address space, etc).  if it's a
> server-class machine, or a "designed for 64-bit" machine, then
> I wouldn't expect issues.

lfdev-amd64 is a Celestica. I think it is model A2210. It is the AMD 8111/8131 Chip set
and is considered a 1 U server. As per Michael's request I added a model column to the dev
info wiki page.

lshw and dmidecode show it is capable of 8 x 512 DIMMS for 4 GB. So we can order 6 more
512 DIMMS.

lfdev-ia64 is capable of 16 GB. So, I can look into getting say 4 x 1GB DIMMS.

I am still determining the exact RAM for both lfdev-amd64 and lfdev-ia64. Once I have a
quote I will bounce it off Ted to make sure it is OK and then order it.

David Ames