[Openais] aisexec causing significant idle load

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Oct 5 08:47:05 PDT 2004

Janne,

Under idle conditions openais uses some CPU time because it uses a token
passed through every processor.  There are ways to improve this, for
example not encrypting the token or not passing the token except when
the token timers are about to expire.  These are all enhancements that
can be made in the future.  Finally the poll interface sorts the list of
file descriptors to provide priorities on every poll call.  This is a
significant use of time and can definately be improved.

The fact that your cpu usage increases over time is a sure sign of some
kind of bug/enhancement needed.  I'd be interested to know what if any
test programs you ran before this behavior occured.  It would be great
if we could nail it down to a specific test that changes the performance
usage.

The poll list grows but never shrinks (but reuses empty space) so this
may be the cause of the problem.  I'll run some tests and see what I can
find.

Thanks!
-steve